Linux Version Requirements

To start Renoise on Linux you’ll need:

• a processor which supports the SSE instruction set

• x86 based Linux Dist with GCC 4.X libs installed

• X.org 7.1 or newer (X Windows System)

• GFX card/monitor config with 15,16 or 24 bit colors - min 1024x768 pixels

• libasound2 (ALSA >= 1.0 for Audio + MIDI)

• when running a 64bit OS: compatibility libs for 32bit apps (renoise is delivered as 32bit app only)

Optional (Renoise will start without):

• libjack (Jack Audio system)

• libXcursor (to display the nice Renoise cursors)

• libXinerama (for proper dual monitor support)

• libfontconfig (to display Asian characters/fonts within Renoise)

• libmpg123 (to load mp3 samples)

For detailed infos see the Renoise on Linux FAQ on tutorials.renoise.com.

Any Linux desktop distribution which is not older than 1-2 years should fullfil these requirements (including the optional ones).

Note: Renoise will start and run also with no Window Manager installed. So you can run Renoise on a minimal (Linux server) dist with just a XServer and ALSA installed.

Just thought I’d mention this really isn’t true, as long as you have installed the proper 32 bit compatibility libraries. I’m currently running Renoise just fine on a 64 bit Ubuntu with no troubles. You just need to remember to install ia32-libs or whatever equivalent exists in your distro.
Oh, and BTW, a big fat “thank you” to all people involved in this port, I love it!

On that note, are you planning on releasing a 64 bit version eventually?

I’m the responsible for the “32bit environment only” statement, because I’m the only one in the Linux test team having a 64bit CPU. I would like to know how you have managed to run Renoise under a 64bit system.

did you simply install ia32 libs, or did you also have to create a chroot environment? if the second case is true, then I think the statement is still true: after all, creating a chroot is nothing more than installing a 32bit environment into a 64bit one.

Quite simply just install the appropriate 32 bit libs with apt-get/aptitude. No chroot involved.I run all my 32 bit programs this way.

Seconding this question, if you don’t mind. All of my LADSPA plugins are compiled as 64-bit libraries, so they’re not usable from Renoise as it stands.

Yeah, a 64bit version would be really nice… 64bit is the future. It doesnt make much sense to use a 32bit GNU/Linux with an 64bit CPU because the (binary) 64bit GNU/Linux is much faster

Just took a look at this again, if its possible to distribute 64bit binaries as well, and I guess thats nothing I can offer for now. Why?

1. the Renoise backend is not yet ready to be compiled for 64bit. There is not THAT much work left, but this involves a lot of testing and finetuning, also for the other platforms where we sooner or later want to have 64bit binaries. Thats nothing I want to start in a beta cycle, as this can easily result in a huge chaos.

2. providing 2 builds for Linux (actually 2 new - demos and regged versions) means more overhead for us. Even if the releases are automated, the testing is not (we dont release any build that we dont have at least quickly tested), thus we are happy about any overhead that can be avoided

3. I even have not yet tested and verified how well GCC cross compiles on Linux - if this works at all in practice. Building the 64bit and 32bit executables on two different machines or VMs means again a lot of overhead for us. Has anyone some experiences with cross-compiling for x86-64 on 32bit systems?

So, in summary: 64builds builds will come, also for Windows and Mac OS, but definitely NOT for this release (1.9.1).

This is very nice to hear. Please let me know if you need any more testers :)
As for cross compiling, GCC has quite good support for this, but the only way I’ve tried this myself is compiling for 32 bit systems on a 64 bit GCC, where this can be achieved by using the -m32 flag (gcc -m32 hello.c -o hello, for example). This requires the standard stuff, proper headers, proper 32 bit development libs installed. I don’t know if this method will yield a binary that is identical to one a 32 bit GCC would produce, but the resulting binary does work on all 32 bit CPUs you want it to, as decided by the -march flag.
It also seems there’s a -m64 flag on 32 bit GCC’s which would work the other way, but I’ve never tried this myself.

Thanks for clarification!

Just adding support for request for 64-bit version of Renoise and volunteering as tester :)

I got Renoise for Linux this week after reading Dave Phillip’s excellent review at www.linuxjournal.com
A wonderful piece of software, thank you to all devs and Renoise community!

I’m still using demo version while I work out what I can actually do with 32-bit Renoise on 64-bit OS - no JACK, no LADSPA plugins, both known issues.

Renoise will most likely be the first software I pay for!

Thanks again! :walkman:

Edit: I’m a registered user now B)

Renoise is the best tracker for Linux that I know of… Thanks!

(Disregard stuff I wrote about libjack incompatibility - it was a jack double-installation problem, my bad.)

Renoise on Gentoo Linux with gcc 3.4.6 … using libstdc++.so.6.0.3

was not able to run Renoise 1.9.1 …

The installation script was successful. Unfortunately running the program fails because it has been pre-compiled against a very specific version of libstdc++

# ldd renoise  
./renoise: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.1' not found (required by ./renoise)  

it runs great on Debian!

anybody else found an easier way than installing an earlier version of gcc to do this?

You will need a “x68 based Linux Dist with !!GCC 4.X!! libs installed”. Old GCC 3.X dists are unfortunately not supported (and never will be)…

+1 on Renoise64

i know that it’s something expensive in term of code/time/energies/CPU/whatever but i can’t wait for it.

renoise r0x0r

does anyone which libs should i install on fedora 10??
there’s no such a thing like ia32-libs and they told me that fedora supports a multilib system but i won’t install what i don’t really need. the answer could go in the FAQs too tough.

please thanks

here’s the needed command to install the needed libraries for fedora 10 64 bit:

yum install glibc.i686 libstdc++.i386 alsa-lib.i386 libX11-1.1.4-6.fc10.i386

renoise rocks.

/me can’t wait for a native 64 bit version :dribble:

hey guys. i just recieved my dell inspiron mini 10. it doesn’t have a CD/DVD drive. am i able to install linux from an external cd drive, or an external hard/flash drive?

thanks!

thanks bantai!

+1 on Renoise64 here too

i know many people who would like to buy renoise for linux in 64 bit - but ONLY in 64 bit version (me included)

is there any chance this could be released this year?

thanks a lot for considering!