Plucked Strings

Any tips on building a plucked string sound?

There are plenty of good examples in this tune

Primarily at 1:28 and 2:46

Any help would be much appreciated.

If your attempting to make a sound Venetian Snares made, just stop. Its impossible. It cannot be done.

Edirol Orchestral VST Should get it!

Why contradicting your own statement if you simply start with the fact someone already did it?

Can’t check youtube at work, alas… but don’t forget a lot of Rossz is sampled! Check out Edward Elgar’s Cello Concerto. I think he sampled Jacqueline Du Pre’s performance.

ye, you need a couple of different plucked samples if you go by the sample route. some soft plucks and some with more attack and then mix it up. (i seem to remember that the olpc sample collection has free orchestral samples but i’m not 100 % sure.)

a vst, a gaswotrth suggested, and using the velocities in the right way should do the trick. plucked strings are pretty easy to get to sound right in comparison with continous notes on bowed instruments.

are you looking to synthesize these from scratch or what? i was just working on this sort of thing last week :)
Samples would definitely be the easiest way to go if you just want to make some new tunes.

Yeah, you won’t get anything similar sounding with a single XRNi or VST for that matter - short of something ridiculously expensive like EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Silver / Gold / Platinum.

Like BotB said, most of it is straight or cleverly chopped/09xx’d and retuned samples - that makes sure they retain all the subtle articulations and nuances that keep the strings sounding ‘real’. Wikipedia has a decent list of some of the samples used.

"The album also samples various pieces of classical music:

The first movement of Béla Bartók’s fourth string quartet, in track two.
The second of Igor Stravinsky’s “3 Pieces for Clarinet”, in track five.
The first movement of Gustav Mahler’s 3rd Symphony (trombone solo), in track five.
Measures 121-128 (14), 134 (15) and 144 (16) of Bartók’s first string quartet (third movement), in track five.
Niccolò Paganini’s 7th Caprice in A minor, in track five.
The first and third measure of the fourth movement of Bartók’s sixth string quartet, in track six.
Sir Edward Elgar’s “Cello Concerto in E Minor, Op. 85”, in track eight.
The second movement of Sergei Prokofiev’s Quintet in G Minor in track eight.
The Siciliana of Fantasia No. 9 from Georg Philipp Telemann’s Twelve Fantasias, in track ten."

You just gotta compile a MASSIVE library of sampled phrases if you want to achieve these sort of results!

You gotta remember that Vsnares is a musician. Not a god.

If he did it, it can be done by others.