Mutant Breaks #7

mutant-breaks-7.jpg?raw=1

Mutant Breaks #7

You read it. The most unorganized song contest for Renoise has returned.

This year, it’s going to be a little bit different. Not because the rules (below) have changed much, but simply because Conner_Bw has passed the torch to me. No, nothing dramatic…he just doesn’t want to spoil December by checking the Renoise forum every 5 minutes… or something :badteeth:

So, this time around, I’m hosting the contest. I am the right person to do so, as I sometimes click the Renoise forum icon shortcut on my desktop when I really wanted to compose some music. BUT RENOISE FORUM ADDICTION IS NOT A REQUIREMENT. In fact, it would be great if you could all tell your Renoise friends outside our little bubble to come here and check out what the noise is about…

The theme this year is The Smell of a New Car. Yes, looking in my crystal ball I am certain we are going to hear that phrase many times over next year. So, let’s get it out of the system before it’s too late - and what you are going to do in that new car of yours is entirely up to you.

To participate, simply write a song in Renoise, using any kind of gear or software that you like. Stick to the theme and accepted genres (below) as much as you can. Upload your song to this topic, and you’re in. If you prefer not to share your song as an XRNS file, you must provide an flac, ogg or mp3 file and we’ll just have to trust you didn’t write it in Garageband. But by sharing your song in the XRNS format you might increase your chance of winning.

Voting will be performed in two stages: once the deadline is reached, every participant will be able to award other participants points. If the artist shares an XRNS, then his or her votes are multiplied x 3.Among the highest voted entries, the winners are then picked in some random fashion. Previously, it has been notes hidden under cake or stuck inside a piñata. Suggestions are welcome.

I’ll throw some ca$h at the winner - 100€ - plus Renoise merch for the winner and second/third place (reminder to self: it’s time to print some new stickers, Hitori Tori ran away with the last copies at the Renoise HQ)

GENRES: hey, the only true mainstay of MBC are the allowed genres:
Electro / Bassline / Breakbeats / Jungle / Drum & Bass / IDM / Breakcore / Dubstep / Experimental / Noise
Yes, experimental in bold. Which kind of makes everything, including ambient avant-pop possible.

THEME: The Smell of a New Car
RULES: One entry per contestant
PRICES: Cash + Merchandise
DEADLINE: 14th of January

In case you are wondering about previous entries & winners, this is the place to go:
http://www.trotch.com/mbc/

EDIT #1: Votepack has now been released
https://forum.renoise.com/t/mutant-breaks-7/42701

EDIT #2: And the winner(s)
Woodpecking Mantis (1st price, video)
Mars.64 ( votes)
AutumnsChild
Syflom

See all votes in this spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VLFoCYnJXWdTZ2Ah0leZYen1tatetbExfHHjhJCHZ7E/edit?usp=sharing

I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE.

Voting will be performed in two stages: once the deadline is reached, every participant will be able to award other participants points. If the artist shares an XRNS, then his or her votes are multiplied x 2.Among the highest voted entries, the winners are then picked in some random fashion. Previously, it has been notes hidden under cake or stuck inside a piñata. Suggestions are welcome.

The winner will be decided by participants posting YouTube videos of themselves eating as many hotdogs as they can within 30 seconds. The participant who eats the most hotdogs wins.

(Boooo! No. Someone else please?)

Metal is fine as long as I use the amen break, right?

Aweeeeee yeahhh!

Very nice, I’m in! Even though I have absolutely no clue what that smells like.

I’ve heard different things from different people :slight_smile:

Metal is fine as long as I use the amen break, right?

:guitar:+ :drummer: = :yeah:

Thank you danoise + Connor_Bw, I need to pay attention this time!

damnit, Is it really year gone since last Mutant Breaks, time flies …

_have to go to compose something —>

Yes, but … the more who join, the less chance of winning :w00t:

Btw: You can post songs in progress too - the final version is simply the one online before the deadline.

That is, if you don’t mind playing the game with an open hand.

How do we post in the thread? would a Mediafire download link be appropriate?

(I’d like to post an .xrns, but it’s not much use if you don’t have the same samples on yr harddrive, right?)

How do we post in the thread? would a Mediafire download link be appropriate?

Mediafire should be fine, although some people do have quite a love/hate relationship with those file hosts. It might be better to use something more “friendly” like Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.

We do of course have our own Downloads section here, where you can upload your XRNS songs (and other Renoise files): http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/files/

(I’d like to post an .xrns, but it’s not much use if you don’t have the same samples on yr harddrive, right?)

Renoise XRNS songs contain all of the samples you’ve used, so you can easily share your work and not worry about any missing samples.

However, if you’ve used any VST plugins, then people will obviously need to have the same ones installed on their system.

But if you’re just using samples and Renoise native DSP effects, then you’re good to go!

cool, will try to do something, though it’s going to be tight with these holiday shenanigans.

cool, will try to do something, though it’s going to be tight with these holiday shenanigans.

Yeah!!! Aim to get some of those stickers!

I’m going to do something fresh once greasy food season is over :slight_smile:

January 14th! My birthday!

We should still have Connors kid pull our names from a fish bowl or something.

Where my Russian VKontaktesat?

im inn, this is the year, always watch the competition but i turn lazy at last moment

Did anyone mention metal? :badteethslayer:

Here’s a rough sketch of mine so far, though i have no idea how to explain this is how a new car smells like, but i think it runs fast enough:

https://archive.org/details/MB7Sketch1

I challenge you to a metal-off! I started mine last night once my brain got fed up with studying for microsoft exams.

Your sketch won’t play for me for some reason…

I challenge you to a metal-off! I started mine last night once my brain got fed up with studying for microsoft exams.

Your sketch won’t play for me for some reason…

We have a duel going on! :smiley:

I updated the post with a link to its Internet archive page. Don’t know why the link won’t play though, it has always worked earlier.

Maybe this embed thing works?

…guess not, but the link works though.

Hm cars are boring, what about Ninjas?